Saturday, March 29, 2008

Cali 70.3

I put this race on my scheduled for a couple reasons. It is San Diego, California, Rick just moved out here, so it would be a great place to visit. Good to experience a race against some of the top guys in the world. Finally, I trained all winter and need an early season test to see where I am at, where I could use some work and I love to race. I left work on Thursday at 2 pm to begin the journey out here, I drove to Atlanta, to meet up with Matt Russ at Body Pros to do a VO2 max test. He also, looked at my bike fit and made a few minor adjustments. My flight was at 6am Friday morning. So, I got up at 4am to leave for the airport, got a bit of sleep on the plane, had a layover in Houston and then made it to San Diego around 11am PT. Rick picked me up from the airport and we headed to his house. Chilled a bit and then headed to the race site for the Pro meeting. Went to the meeting and it was the same old stuff, good info, but all things I could have read on in the athletic guide. I did a short brick workout and checked out the transition area and a bit of the course, then headed back to Rick’s. We went out for Sushi, which was not what most people think of as a pre race meal, but it was pretty good, lots of Sodium and Rice. Rick and Chris got all you can eat, which meant they had to get their moneys worth. We did not get back to the house until after 10pm, which was 1am east coast time. I went right to bed.

I got up at 4:45, alarm went off shortly after that. I grabbed a bite to eat, coffee, fruit, and peanut butter toast, then headed out at 5:20. Drank some Powerbar endurance and ate a Powerbar on the way. Got to the race site and made it down to transition as it was getting light. Got everything setup, and checked over everything one more time, then headed to the water with ten minutes to start. (no time to stop at the port-a-jon) We swam out to the start and waited a couple minutes towing the line. Finally, the gun when off and we started. I quickly jumped on someone’s feet, we settled into a good pace quickly and I felt great, as we turned the first bouy and headed out of the Harbor it started to get a little rough. Waves and bodies were everywhere. I got kicked in the face and had to stop and fix my goggles a couple times. We rounded the corner and headed back in to the Harbor and before I knew it the swim was over. I came out with the first main group; Andy Potts and another guy were a couple minutes up. I quickly made my way through transition without any trouble, I got on the bike and started out. I settled in and got my power tap working after a bit of playing with it. The bike out was good, with the wind at our back and very flat. After 15 miles I thought I had a chance at top 10, but that all changed about mile 25. A large pack came by and we headed back into the wind and over the hills. I stayed with the pace over the first couple hills, but the wheel I was on lost the pack. He was holding a good pace and I had already rode most of the bike with him, so I stayed, knowing I would blow up if I went with those guys. There were about 4 major climbs, which I had to shift to my highest gear and then still stand a couple times. At mile 50 Alex came by me, (Mac was in the pace that went by me at mile 25). I knew he would not put in much time on me in the last 6 miles. I made it back with the same guy I rode most of the bike with. We rode all the way around transition and came in the back side. We caught a couple guys right at the end and I passed them in transition. (I did not take time to put on socks or pull my shoes tight) I took off and felt great from the start. I was holding back a bit, as I felt like I was going under 6 minute pace and wanted to hold at least that the whole time. It was a two loop run course, so I could see the leaders and where everyone was. After I passed Alex, there was not anyone for a couple minutes. I wanted to run down Mac, but he was a good 4 minutes up and I was not gaining on him that fast. I stayed strong and just ran my own race. After the last turn around I could really feel a couple blisters. I stopped and tightened my shoes hoping that would help, but it did not do much good. I struggled in the last couple miles, mainly because my feet were beat up and there was no one to run down. Then in the last half mile, the same guy I rode with all day came by me in the dirt part. The difference between 22nd and 23rd was not worth sprinting for the finish and killing me for the rest of the day or two. I saw 4:19 as I crossed the line, not what I was hoping for, but the bike was harder then I expected. Now I have a couple days to rest up and have some fun.

No comments: