Monday, March 24, 2008

Water Polo/Easter

Easter Weekend is always a big Polo weekend. UNC always has a Tournament. I signed up to play a few months ago after Murph and Drew both said they wanted to do it. Well, Drew took off to Jackson a month ago and it has not stopped snowing, so he has not come home yet. Murph had to impress the new Girlfriend and stayed in Charlotte to visit with her parents. But, I was not going to back out on my word, even though I had a 4 hour bike ride and a long brinck workout to do this weekend. So, I loaded up the car and headed to Chapel Hill on Friday night. Got into town and everyone was hanging out, drinking a few beers. They talked me into going downtown, I should have just gone to bed. We out and had a good time and got home at a descent hour.

Saturday morning we had a game at 9:20. We played NC State. We should have beaten them pretty good, but we let them get back in it and ended up winning 10-9. The first game started late, so we started late and therefore I was late to meet up with Richard for the ride. I jumped in the car right after the game and headed to Inside out in Cary for the ride. It was just me, Richard, and John and after a bit of a wait we headed out for our 4 hour ride. About an hour into the ride, Richard decides to do some intervals, 20 min at AT over geared. I did not want to kill my legs, so I just sat in, but Richard is a very strong cyclist and I had to do some work to stay on his wheel. After the ride I headed straight back to the pool for our next game at 4. We played U of Puerto Rico. They were a bunch of fast kids, but they did not have any subs. So, we swam them hard and then sloughed the hole. They could have played much better if they had some subs, but we won 9-5. We had the semi final game at 8:30, so we went to grab a bit to eat and a drink at a bar, to watch the basketball games. After a few drinks we headed back to the Pool. We were playing UNC Alumi (Boone County Outlaws), JP, my college coach was playing for them and had asked me to play with them earlier in the week. So, I did not think they would be all that strong. Well, I was wrong. They were old and out of shape, but they were still big and strong. They played much better as a team and they were getting tons of goals from the hole, where we just were getting offensives called everytime. Well, we struggle to stay in it, and the bad calls continued to get to some of our guys. Logan flipped after one very bad call and was ejected from the game and then from the pool. It was a bad call and everyone knew it, but gee, now we will not have him for the game tomorrow. In the last quarter I started shooting a lot, because the hole was not working. I got a foul at one point the other team knocked it away (which they kicked me out for earlier in the game) and I came up and shot it. They said I took too long to shoot and Jaun then screamed at the ref and got kicked out and then rolled for the game. What a long day. But, now it was not over. We went out for some dinner (again) and then went to the party. By this time it was passed midnight and I was beat. I headed to bed.

Easter Sunday, got up and went for a ride, did not get an early start as I wanted to, but I needed the sleep. Got in a 2 hour ride and then had to go play the third place game. We played the NC State Alumi team, which we would have beat if we had Logan, but it was just not enough without his killer outside shot, which is always good for a couple goals. We played good D and ended up coming back at the end, but we losing 6-7. We grabbed a bit to eat and headed out. I headed to Boone to visit with Charley. I got there around 5 and we went for a run at Bass Lake in Blowing Rock. It was nice to get out and losen up the legs. I ran 45 mins at close to a 6:30 pace, then did some strides and stretched out good. Then Charley and I headed back to her place for some dinner, she cooked up some Pot Pie. It was REALLY yummy.

No comments: